Frequently Asked Questions

Education in Canada

TIMELINE - From mentoring to studying in Canada


Please note that in order to apply for your visa, you must already have a letter of acceptance in hand plus the other immigration requirements specific to your case. Therefore, we recommend that while you are in the process of getting your Letter of Acceptance (LOA), if you want Immiland to represent you in your visa process, we suggest that you sign a contract with us so that you can get information and advance the visa requirements while waiting for your LOA which is the final requirement, for having made the registration with immiland you can enjoy a 10% discount on visa services. Remember that Immiland can take up to 3 weeks to put together a comprehensive application and then the Government of Canada can take 3 to 6 months (depending on the embassy) to give you an answer,we present a timeline for you to keep in mind to plan accordingly:

  • 1. Opening of enrollment at the institutions: The institutions open enrollment approximately 1 year before the beginning of classes, the most recommended is to apply as soon as they open because most of them do not have an application deadline, as soon as the program is full it closes.
  • Estimated time for LOA issuance: After sending us all documents for registration: 2 to 12 weeks, may be more or less, depending on the College/University.
  • 3. Estimated CAQ issuance times (if going to Quebec): With LOA in hand, you should note that this may take 20 to 30 working days to be issued by the Quebec Ministry.
  • 4. Estimated translation times for your visa process: It depends on your translator and the amount of documents you send for translation, in Immiland it can take from 5 to 9 business days if you hire our translators.

In total the process takes approximately one year (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on each profile) so it is recommended to start your counseling in time so that you can prepare all the necessary documentation and start your classes at the desired start of classes.

If I already have a university degree, can I study a two-year undergraduate program?


If you already have university studies, it is advisable to study a graduate or master degree program, however, if the program of interest is an undergraduate program that adds to your profile, i.e., 80% of the curriculum is new and is consistent with your work or professional experience, then it could be considered as an option.

I do not meet the required language level, how does the pathway work?


When we enroll through Immiland for the main program in one of our partner colleges or universities, you must present the language level through one of the tests accepted by the college or university, if you do not meet the minimum required , it is the college who places you in a level and indicates the time and cost of the same. The pathway is taken before the program, the college gives you a letter of acceptance program + pathway, this will be conditional, which means that to start the program you must successfully complete the pathway.

You must take into account that when you go through the pathway, neither you nor your partner (if applicable) will be able to work until you complete the pathway and obtain an unconditional letter of admission.

To know the cost and time of the pathway we need the language test. IELTS Academic type or TOEFL IBT type. You should not enroll without the language test.

Are all your programs suitable for a future residency?


All our educational institutions are part of the DLI and have PGWP so if you do things right in the future you will be eligible for a residency (following the immigration plan of your ICCRC member consultant).

When do classes start in Canada?


The most common intakes are: September where we have available 100% of the educational programs , January we have available 70% of the educational programs and May we have available in 50% of the educational programs. It will depend on the program you select.

When can I register for the selected program?


Enrollment normally opens 10 to 12 months prior to the start of classes, as soon as enrollment opens we can register you, as long as you have ALL the requirements we ask for. It is recommended to apply at least 7 months in advance (because you must take into account the time it takes to process the letter of acceptance (LOA) which will be approximately 4 weeks to 8 weeks sometimes 10 depending on the college/university) plus the time it takes to process the study permit (approximately 4 to 6 months).

What is the deadline for registration?


Depending on the college selected, a clear example: for the September intake the deadlines (enrollment deadline) is March, however, programs close as they fill up and waiting until March could significantly decrease the programs that are still available.

What is the language level required for admission?


It varies a lot from program to program, the recommendation is that you first select the program of interest and we will gladly send you the details of the program, with all the admission requirements including the language level required for admission.

However, for a technical (undergraduate) program the level normally required is an academic IELTS of 6.0. For a postgraduate program an academic IELTS of 6.5 /7 and for a master's program an academic IELTS of 7 and above. With differences in their bands depending on the selected program.

What is CO-OP and does it affect my residency?


The co-op is a professional internship (work experience while you are still a student), it does not affect your residency nor does it count towards your residency (with very specific exceptions in Quebec). Your benefit is that you gain work experience in the professional area of study, which will benefit you in the future when you graduate to find your first job.

Are the extra fees mandatory and is the price per year or for the whole program?


These extra fees vary according to the program you select and usually consist of fees such as medical insurance, international fees, books, transportation, among others. The approximate cost you should add is CAD$1,000 to CAD$5,000 to the annual tuition fee.

Can I register without the language test?


No, unfortunately we need proof of language proficiency even if you wish to do a pathway (see FAQ number 2 to understand the pathway). At Immiland we do not send incomplete documents because in order for a Canadian institution to reserve a place for you, you must have all the documents including the language test.

Only Lambton College in the province of Ontario has a 100% free internal test with us that you can take if you wish to enroll in this institution once we send your application.

Does my program have Vacation?


An academic year in Canada consists of 8 months of study, normally when studying for 2 years or more the academic program has vacations, especially if the program starts in the beginning of classes in September, because they study all Fall, all winter, all spring and they have the whole summer vacation period and they enter again in September to the second academic year, for the other beginnings of classes that are January and May, normally they are fast track, that is to say, they do not have vacations. There are exceptions such as UCW, Camosun College, Lambton College, among others, that no matter the start of classes, they can always choose to have a vacation.

What does it mean that the program is Fast track?


When the program indicates that it is Fast Track, or can also be called accelerated, it is because it does NOT have a long summer vacation.

Can you help me process my enrollment at a college/university with which you do not have an agreement?


No, because we are not legally authorized to do so and we do not know the internal process to process the enrollment. We will only be able to help you if you choose one of our programs because we can commit to handling your application (we have direct contact, access to applications and data management) and we are trained for them.

In case you want to apply to an institution with which we do not have an agreement, we recommend writing to them directly and once you have obtained the LOA, our visa team will be happy to help you with the visa process.

Is there any cost to take the educational process with you?


No, we do not charge an administration fee, it will only be charged if the college/university charges for your registration, it is not an amount directed to immiland, this money is used at the time of registration and is charged by the college/university for the review of your documentation.

Can I take visa services with Immiland?


At immiland we have a 100% trained legal team for visa preparation. You will not be obligated to retain our visa services when you obtain our educational services, but you will have the option to contract them and take advantage of a 10% discount on them.


Latest on Instagram

Immiland Canada BogotaImmiland Canada BogotaEddy Ramirez ImmilandEddy Ramirez ImmilandEddy Ramirez CanadaEddy Ramirez CanadaVenezuelans in CanadaVenezuelans in Canada