5 Ways to obtain Permanent Residency in Canada

We will now discuss the 5 ways to obtain permanent residency in Canada:

Express Entry System: Through this system, you can apply from your country of residence or from within Canada (depending on the program). If you apply from outside Canada, upon entering Canada, you will already be a permanent resident. This pathway is divided into 3 categories, which are:

  1. Skilled worker: Those who have a profession, ideally fourth level higher education (Master and/or pHD), CLB 7 at least in English and/or French and work experience of at least 1 full year (ideally more than 3) in the area they studied can apply.
  2. Skilled trade: Those who do not have a university diploma can apply, however it is recommended to have a post secondary diploma to increase your points. Applicable for people with manual jobs (there is a list of sectors) such as: Drivers, Plumber, Builders, the required level of English is CLB 4 and 5 and they are required to have at least 2 years of work experience and a valid job offer in Canada or their certificate of qualification by the province and/or Federal Government
  3. Canadian experience class: This pathway is for people who have lived in Canada for at least 12 months and have worked 12 continuous months in professional jobs. As it is a point system, it is ideal to have a high level of English (above CLB 7), post-secondary education, qualified work experience abroad and a job offer in Canada to increase the chances of selection.

2. Education: After finishing your studies at a college or university (although each province has its own immigration rules), the doors are open to apply for permanent residency, usually with the help of the Post-Graduation Work Permit . Please note that not all institutions are eligible for this permit. Thanks to this permit you will be able to obtain the relevant work experience and/or job offer that will help you get connected to a permanent residency program.

3. Provincial nomination programs: These programs allow the provinces to respond to problems and labor needs specific to their region. The federal government allows each province to have its own programs determined according to the needs of the province .

4. Sponsorship: This alternative allows permanent residents or Canadian citizens to provide sponsorship to their family members, which are:

  1. Partner, husband or wife.
  2. Parents or grandparents.
  3. Sons.

The interesting thing about this option is that if you want to sponsor your partner or spouse, the government will not ask for financial solvency. This is not the case with the other two options (exceptions apply for sponsorship of dependent children). It is worth mentioning that everyone who is sponsored must meet certain conditions.

5. Refugee - Convention Refugee: Canada, responding to social reasons, accepts refugee claims. When a person is accepted as a refugee, he/she will be able to obtain permanent residence. The cases of vulnerability accepted on the grounds of persecution are:

  1. Political opinion.
  2. Belonging to a particular social group.
  3. Race, nationality, religious beliefs.

If you want to know if you can apply to any of these 5 forms, you can contact us at info@immilandcanada.com. Our consultants will be able to provide you with the best advice. To schedule an appointment with our experts click here.

If you would like more information, we invite you to watch the following video here.

With Love.


The latest in