As studying in Canada allows you to apply for permanent residency.

Are you too young or simply do not have any work experience to be able to apply for a work visa to create a profile under Express Entry?

In this post I am going to show you which are the most recommended ways to get permanent residency after studying in Canada. Focusing on the Federal area and also on some provincial programs.

Migratory paths:

1. Permanent Residency with only study in Canada: Without a doubt this is my favorite one, since only by completing a post-secondary degree in Canada you would have the possibility to apply for Permanent Residency without the need of work experience in Canada or a job offer.

This possibility is offered by some provinces under some types of academic programs:

1. Ontario: International PhD and Master Graduate.

2. British Columbia: International Post Graduate.

3. Alberta: Post-graduate Worker.

4. Quebec: Quebec Experience Program.

I would like to refer to the Quebec program, as this program allows students of lower levels than a Master's or PhD to apply for residency. Quebec even allows students of technical careers which are not university (colleges) that have a duration of at least 1800 hours to obtain residency.

Each program has its own language requirements. In all provinces except Quebec it is necessary to have a minimum level of English CLB 7. In Quebec, on the contrary, a B2 level of French is required, it is possible to study the program in English but when applying for the residency French will be required.

2. Study + work = Residency: If you study in a province or a program that does not give you the possibility to apply for residency with only study. Then you can consider the study + work option. How does it work? Upon graduation from post-secondary education (College or University) there is the ability to apply for a "post graduation" work permit. This work permit will have the same duration as the academic program studied. During this time you must obtain full time paid work experience in a job related to the profession studied.

If the candidate meets a number of language and financial requirements (if applicable) it is possible after 12 months of continuous work experience in Canada to apply for permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class program.  


- If your budget is a little low consider that professional careers in Universities (bachelors, masters and PhD) are somewhat expensive for international students. Investigate options in "Colleges" where you can study careers between 1 and 3 years at more economical prices.

- While you are studying you have a part-time work permit (20 hours per week) and during vacations it is possible to work full time.

- Remember that by being admitted to a post-secondary institution your partner can get a work visa and your children can go to school for free.

- Language courses do not allow you to apply for permanent residency and do not allow you to work while studying. However, if your language level is not very high it is highly recommended to study it for a few months before applying for a post-secondary career.

For more detailed information please contact us.

The latest in