Travel Document (TVR)
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is an official document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person's passport to show that he or she meets the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Possession of a TRV does not guarantee entry into Canada. Admission of foreign nationals to Canada as temporary residents is a privilege, not a right.

Sometimes people applying for a work or study permit require a Temporary Resident Visa (TVR) which is included in the approval of their application for such visa.

Important Note: Renewal of a study permit does not affect your TRV. That is, if you extend your permit into Canada, applying for a new visa sticker (TRV) in your passport is a separate application. It is your responsibility to ensure that your TRV remains valid if you wish to leave and re-enter Canada during your studies or work.

  • Only applies to persons who cannot enter Canada with an Electronic Travel Authorization.

The general requirements of a TVR application are:

  • Completion of immigration forms.
  • Pay the fee.
  • For more information, click here.

The latest in