For example, if you had a work permit and it has expired, you will apply for reinstatement of your status. When restoring your status in Canada, you must apply for a visa extension at the same time, according to the applicant's stated need.
Reinstatement of status is not the same as an extension of status, the extension is allowed when it has been requested before the expiration of the current visa. Whereas, restoration only applies when the current visa has expired and you wish to obtain an extension or apply for a new one. It is possible to restore the status of:
Restrictions for this document
- You cannot continue working or studying until your status is reinstated and a new work or study permit is issued.
- You only have 90 days after the expiration of your visa to restore your status.
Requirements for this document
The applicant must:
- File the application within 90 days of the loss of status.
- Fulfill the initial requirements for your stay.
- Remain in Canada until a decision is made.
- Not to have failed to comply with any condition automatically imposed by a Canadian regulation or official.
Depending on the status to be restored, there are additional requirements that must be met. For more information click here.